With the 4.0.6 patch and the Aspect of the Hawk hotfix BM is now viable in PvE and even in some PvP.
My experience with BM is in Rated BG's and 2v2 Arena (Double DPS with a Rogue).
Why do I play BM for 2v2 Arena?
- Spirit Beast Spirit Mend is the best self healing a Hunter can achieve, and healing is crucial as Double DPS
- While LoS'ing opponents and using this heal I can outlast a decent amount of 2's teams that focus me (Marks heal with Chimera Shot requires line of sight which opens the Hunter up to more damage)
- Kill Command can be cast through LoS
- While I am LoS to avoid damage or if their are LoS'ing me to avoid damage I can still do solid damage to low armor targets
- Bestial Wrath burst is very high
- Kill Command crits for 30k are possible against high resilience clothies
- Arcane Shot spam is decent against all classes
- The Beast Within can be used a 2nd trinket about every minute
- Improved Mend Pet does a decent job of removing cc from your pet if you keep Mend Pet always up on your pet
- Mages die very quickly
- The strategy vs Mages is to both open on Mage and get that Ice Block. After Ice Block is when you blow Bestial Wrath and finish the Mage. As a Hunter in 2's your job is to always be on the Mage until death occurs. Mages left open are bad news and Hunters are very good vs Mages.
- Scatter Shot is baseline so BM can actually use Freezing Trap to cc the off target
- Arcane Shot damage is solid because of the high Attack Power that BM can attain
- Don't use Kill Command on high armor targets, just spam Arcane Shot
- Focus regen is very fluid as BM and the need to Cobra Shot (or Steady Shot) all the time is much lower than Marks or Survival
As a Hunter we still lack good defensive abilities. Which is why a Rogue is really nice as a partner as he can keep classes that gun for me off of me. So if the other team has a Rogue that is going for me, my Rogue's job is to keep him off me and I kite, doing damage to the other Rogue while healing myself.
I believe BM could still use a few tweaks to make it more viable in 3's and against high armor targets. If I could change 2 things about BM this would be it:
Kill Command would ignore 50-75% armor and be castable when your pet is within 10-15 yards of target (instead of the current 5 yards) due to pet pathing issues.
Silencing Shot should be a baseline Hunter ability. I think most classes that have a silence have it baseline. This change would really allow all Hunter specs to perform close to par in PvP, or at least be close to Marks Hunters.
2v2 Rogue / Hunter Update
My Rogue partner broke his finger and now has a cast on his hand for 3 weeks. We will probably not do any 2's until the cast is off. So 2k will be delayed for a bit.
In other news:
The Hunter Getnerded with Kung Fu Cleave (Marks Hunter / Arms Warrior / Resto Shaman) is now the highest Arena Rated Hunter in the world at 2953 in 3's. Arena Junkies post link.