Updated: April 18th 2009
Individual Pet Analysis
Ferocity: Wasp Wolf Hyena Moth
Tenacity: Gorilla Scorpid
Note: Only Ferocity Pets can reliably crit in PvP (Spider's Bite talent), as full Resilience negates most of the 15% pet crit a BM Hunter can manage.
PvP / BM PvP / PvE / BM PvE
- Bloodthirsty gives your pet a 10% on attacks to increase its health and happiness by 5%, this is essential while leveling / grinding and very useful in PvP and PvE (2 points is not worth it unless to get to Heart of the Phoenix since the healing does not stack)
- Improved Cower can work in PvP, but would have to be cast manually which makes it tough to use with the pet GCD
- Spider's Bite is the quintessential talent of the Ferocity tree for PvP, as it allows your pet a much better chance to crit targets that have a high level of Resilience
- Rabid is an interesting talent but suffers from a short duration and a stacking ability; meaning, for at least half of the 20 seconds Rabid is up, it is below 5 stacks. This ability shines in PvE, but in PvP it is not that great.
- Lick your Wounds and Heart of the Phoenix are great survivability pet talents in PvP and PvE
- Call of the Wild is a solid short term dps gain
- Shark Attack increases pet damage by 3/6%. A very good dps talent.
- Wild Hunt increases the contribution pets get from your Stamina by 20/40% and Attack Power by 10/20%. Wild Hunt is slightly better than Shark Attack dps wise, and the pet gets more health.
- Roar of Sacrifice is the main selling point for having a Tenacity pet in PvP; your pet absorbs 30% of the damage done to you
- Blood of the Rhino is a major bonus in helping to keep our pets alive, especially since with Roar of Sacrifice your pet will be taking damage even if they are not being specifically targeted (although Mend Pet is still not really enough if your pet is being fully targeted, a pocket healer would be required)
- Grace of the Mantis is a mini Resilience talent that can help in PvE and PvP
- Last Stand might be useful in PvP if it didn't require 3 points in Avoidance
- Intervene is tough ability to use as it requires a certain distance (8-25 yards) from the target. If used properly can be a very nice ability.
PvP / BM PvP
- Best mobility since dash is always up with 2/2 in Mobility
- Owl's Focus is not very helpful since every build incorporates Go for the Throat
- Carrion Feeder is actually not as bad as I first believed it to be. It restores 800 happiness and 11,088 health over 4 ticks (the health may be dependent on your pets total health). Your pet is channeling during this time.
- Cornered (2/2) gives your pet 50% damage & 60% less likely to be crit on when your pet is below 35% health, which really isn't that often unless your pet is dead
- Feeding Frenzy (2/2) is a 16% boost in pet damage when the target falls below 35% health, it lasts 10 seconds making it a pretty decent talent for PvE and PvP
- Wolverine Bite is decent vs. Rogues & Druids, without BW or Kill Command on it hits for 500 and crits for 1000 on a 70 Rogue (BW makes it hit for 750 and crit for 1500), but its not that great vs other classes
- Roar of Recovery suffers from a 3 min cooldown and low mana recovery, but its still semi-decent in PvP and PvE since mana is very important
- Bullheaded also suffers from a long cooldown, but it can be auto-cast which is very nice (although it does not automatically break Blind for some unknown reason, even though it can break it)
- Roar of Sacrifice is a nice addition to the Cunning tree making it worthwhile in PvP